US Cross-Border Tax Blog

Published by W.L. Dueck LLP

Posts filed under ‘IRS Form 8840’

Warren Dueck

Tax Residency: How Long Can I Be in the US?

The answer is, you can stay in the US as long as you want to, but there may be tax consequences to how long you stay there. There is widespread confusion about residency which isn’t surprising.  The word, “residency” is interpreted differently depending on whether you are talking about tax, immigration, health insurance, etc.  Even within tax law, Canada, the US and the Canada-US tax treaty all have different interpretations of what constitutes residency. This article is about US tax… Read More