By the Numbers
- 11 Grey Cups attended
- 5 Golf handicap index
- 1 Olympic Gold medal held (while volunteering at the 2010 Winter Games)
- 1 daughter with his wife Kelian.
As a child in Saskatchewan, Steven had two dream careers: astronaut and comedian. Though he thinks there is still time for either, he remains dedicated and committed to his US cross-border tax clients and staff. The complex and high level knowledge that a US cross-border tax practitioner develops often feels like that of an astronaut while the presentation and delivery to clients of the results and actions in a clear, concise and understandable manner can require the delivery of an entertainer (though tax law is tough material to generate laughs)
Steven has spent his career in the professional services area. He worked in the audit and tax groups at Ernst & Young in Vancouver. He worked in the head office of AECOM Canada (formerly UMA Group), a professional engineering and construction firm. Since 2005, he has worked with Warren Dueck and the team at W.L. Dueck & Co. LLP. Steven is known for his ability to listen and understand clients’ issues and then lead and execute a solution for them that is understandable, effective and creates value.
- Canadian Investment in US Businesses and US Real Property
- Cross-Border Ownership Strategies
- US Citizens Resident in Canada
- US Businesses Expanding to Canada
- Proper use of foreign tax credit and foreign exchange planning that reduced an individual’s overall tax liability by $80,000;
- Planning strategy and execution of a liquidation of Canadian and US corporations that reduced the overall tax liability by $300,000;
- Successful objections and protest letters to both Canada Revenue Agency and Internal Revenue Service;
- Successful appeals of IRS penalty assessments to individuals and corporations.
- Chartered Professional Accountant, CPA, CA (British Columbia)
- Certified Public Accountant (Washington)
- Golden Gate University – Master of Science in US Taxation (with honors)
- University of Saskatchewan – Bachelor of Commerce (with distinction)
- Chartered Professional Accountants of BC
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Past President, Board of Directors, Richmond Country Club
- Basketball Coach, R.A. McMath Secondary